As the temps get cooler, I seek out delicious comfort foods like this soul-warming slow cooker chicken pot pie recipe that is definitely one of my family’s favorites.
I love anything that I can prepare in a slow cooker and I never considered that chicken pot pie would be something that I could cook all day!
I think that’s why so many people love slow cooker meals. They’re easy, with their set-it-and-forget-it simplicity that is perfect for any busy family and ability to create almost any comfort food with little effort.
Homestyle Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
About half an hour before your meal is done cooking, remove the chicken from the crock pot, shred it into bite-sized pieces, and return it to the pot.
Add 1 cup of frozen peas to the crock pot and make the biscuits. Cut the biscuits out and brush with a bit of milk before baking according to package directions.
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 4-5 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 batch biscuit mix
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- Place chicken breasts directly into the crock pot.
- Chop up all of your vegetables and add them to the slow cooker, on top of the chicken. (Omit the peas for now.)
- Add the two cans of cream of chicken and chicken broth.
- Add water to bring the liquid level to the top of the vegetables, if needed.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme.
- Turn your crockpot on high for 3 hours or on low, approximately 5 hours.
- About half an hour before your meal is done cooking, remove the chicken from the crock pot, shred it into bite-sized pieces, and return it to the pot.
- Add the peas to the crock pot and make the biscuits.
- Cut the biscuits out and brush with a bit of milk before baking according to package directions.
- Remove the bay leaves and season to taste just before serving.
- Top each portion of chicken pot pie with a buttermilk biscuit.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, and cut in the butter with a dough cutter or fork, until crumbly.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and roll with a rolling pin.
- Cut into rounds - I used a glass as I didn't have a cookie cutter large enough for how big I wanted my biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a lined baking sheet and brush with a bit of milk or cream.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until light golden brown on top and bottom.