This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayPairings #CollectiveBias. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older.
Life in the midwest during fall is as follows, in no particular order: sweaters, pumpkins, carbs, wine, more carbs, probably more wine if you have kids, and anything pumpkin spice.
I love it all. Especially the carbs. And the wine.
There are downsides to fall, however. It gets darker earlier and it feels like midnight at dinner time. We’re already tired and none of us want to cook, let alone wash dishes. I can Pin recipes with the best of them, but then motivation leaves me when it’s time to cook. And comfort food dishes are exhausting – at least that’s what I thought until I discovered one pot cooking with Barilla Pronto Pasta and created this amazing Tuscan Herb Penne With Sausage recipe!
Being able to cook in just one pot saves so many dishes and so much time. There is no boiling and no draining. I also noticed that because we cook the sausage in the same pan, the penne picks up a lot of that flavor while it’s cooking.
See the ‘Pronto’ on the Barilla Pasta box? That’s what you want to look for when you want one pot, easy recipes for dinner, like this Tuscan Herb Penne With Sausage. It’s easily found at your local Walmart.
Only three ingredients, in addition to the no boil, no drain Barilla Pronto Pasta and Barilla Tuscan Herb Sauce is all you need for this recipe. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s the perfect fall comfort food, but will feel like you spent hours making it.
While you’re at Walmart, if you really want to make this meal special for a dinner party or a date night in, pair it with the delicious Pepperidge Farm Cookie Collection or my favorite, the Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Cookie Collection and a good bottle of wine.
Forget looking up no bake cookie recipes – these are gorgeous on brightly colored plates and no one will care if you baked them. BOOM! Just saved you even more dishes.
The Perfect Wine For The Perfect Meal
And, speaking of a good bottle of wine, guess what you can also find at Walmart besides an easy dinner and dessert. A good bottle of wine. Yeah, I know, right? We recommend Estancia Wine’s Pinot Noir or their Cabernet Sauvignon. They go perfectly with this dish and really make the meal feel something from a classy Italian restaurant.
If you don’t speak wine, let me help. Estancia is both affordable and delicious (I know, because hubby and I drank the whole bottle!). The Estancia Pinot Noir has hints of raspberry, baking spice, cigar box, black cherry, and oak and is Grown with Passion in California. It’s deep flavor goes perfectly with red meat and red sauce and pasta, such as this meal!
Did you know that you can get more information about wine pairings by using the Simple Entertaining Hub and to find a wine tasting or pairing event at a Walmart near you!
- 1 box Barilla® Pronto™ Penne
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 package of Italian sausage, mild or spicy
- 1 package of arugula & spinach salad mix
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese grated
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 bottle of Estancia Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir
- 1 package of Pepperidge Farm Cookie Collection
- Brown the entire package of sausage in a large skillet. Once browned, let the pan cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the entire box of Barilla Pronto Penne. Pour cold water into the pan, making sure that the water just covers the sausage and pasta.
- Set the burner on high and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until all the water is absorbed.
- Once water is absorbed and pasta reaches desired tenderness, remove from heat and stir in greens and cheese.
- Serve immediately, topping with more cheese.
- If you feel like cooking the sausage has left too much grease, then use a paper towel to wipe the pan until you've absorbed enough grease.